Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Double Down

As we read previously, Melissa Harris-Perry, liberal MSNBC host and Great Collectivizer, recently pronounced that everyone's children belongs to everybody, or something along those lines.

Predictably, there was a conservative backlash against her bizarre message, which led MH-P to respond on her blog that, basically, she didn't say what her critics are saying she said, but that she was totally right anyway. Cool!

Here's the best line of the post:
When the flood of vitriolic responses to the ad began, my first reaction was relief. I had spent the entire day grading papers and was relieved that since these children were not my responsibility, I could simply mail the students’ papers to their moms and dads to grade! But of course, that is a ridiculous notion. As a teacher, I have unique responsibilities to the students in my classroom at Tulane University, and I embrace those responsibilities. It is why I love my job.
"A unique responsibility?" Uh, Professor---you have a contractual responsibility to grade your students' papers and return them directly to the students. It's your job. Is this really where she's making her stand on the whole children-belong-to-everyone issue?

Also, if she's working at Tulane University, she's grading the papers of legal adults, not children. So the argument becomes even more bewildering.

No comments:

Post a Comment