Friday, March 15, 2013

The Bullet of the Black Hole

Apparently Ted Cruz rankled Dianne Feinstein's feathers yesterday after "lecturing" her on the Constitution (specifically the uniform application of the term "the people" over the First, Second and Fourth amendments). Having been grievously offended at Cruz's explaining how the Constitution works, Feinstein fired back:

Let me just make a couple of points in response—one, I’m not a sixth grader, Senator, I’ve been on this committee for twenty years. I was a mayor for nine years. I walked in, I saw people shot. I’ve looked at bodies that have been shot with these weapons. I’ve seen the bullets that implode… Look, there are other weapons. I’m not a lawyer, but after twenty years, I’ve been up close and personal to the Constitution. I have great respect for it. This doesn’t mean that weapons of war…and the Heller decision clearly points out three exceptions, two of which are pertinent here. And so you know, it’s fine you want to lecture me on the Constitution. I appreciate it. Just know I’ve been here for a long time.

It's a self-referential appeal to authority. Well, maybe Cruz was being a bit patronizing and maybe he wasn't, but in any case, Feinstein might be telling the truth about "respecting" the Constitution: she did support an amendment that could have prohibited flag burning, but at least she was actually going to amend the Constitution, not simply pass legislation that would trample on the First Amendment. That's being faithful to the Constitution, if not to the ideals that gave it life.

I'm more interested in where Feinstein has seen those "bullets that implode," though. Imploding bullets! Surely she added those dastardly things to the 2013 Assault Weapons Ban, too.

1 comment:

  1. To be fair: I think I know what she was referencing with the 'imploding' remark. It is those bullets that, when entering the human body, go to pieces somehow. I looked it up and this seems a good reference; correct me if I'm wrong. http://www.corneredcat.com/article/ammunition/are-hollowpoint-bullets-more-dangerous/

    ReplyDelete